Thursday, January 26, 2012

A blog about a young college student traveling and experiencing the world! Oh, how original!

Greetings, readers (friends and family)!

¡Bienvenidos a mi blog! This will be my source for posting about my time in Buenos Aires, Argentina throughout my semester abroad (departure set for February 5th, a week and a half away). It will be sure to consist of random, daily musings and discoveries, adventures, and pictures (Facebook will most likely be the best source for all my photographs, however, as goes social networking these days). It will also consist of my formal posts required for a 2-credit course I am taking online this semester, entitled "The Art of Travel". In this class, all participants are required to create 15 blog posts throughout the semester, with guided themes and a more specific format. These posts will have the label 'the art of travel' along with the assigned theme, and will perhaps read with more formality (as I will have to include different sources and will be writing with the audience of student peers and my professor, versus close friends and family).

A little bit on why I decided to take the online course and decided to start this blog: I had a writing professor for both semesters of my freshman year (I was lucky to get her twice, her classes fill up quickly!) that changed my outlook on, well, almost everything. I've come to love writing now, an interest that was never really present in high school. I've started a personal journal for the first time since 4th grade diary days, and enjoy any excuse to write anything, from poetry to essays to... well... blog posts! I knew I would be interested in taking the small, online course, not only because it is a way to interact with other students at different NYU abroad sites, but also it will force me to write about and publicly share my experiences in South America.

Therefore, all of you will be able to see things the way I see it. Mis ensueños porteños son suyos. My Buenos Aires daydreams are yours (the word "porteño" is a special word in Spanish used to describe anything of / relating to the city of  Buenos Aires).  It is true that I will be taking 18 credits through NYU this upcoming Spring semester, where three out of my four lectures will be conducted in Spanish.  It is also true that this semester, I will not necessarily put school as my obsessive priority (as I have in years past), and professors and other staff abroad know and assume that. This is my time to move myself to a different continent, improve my Spanish, immerse myself in a whole new lifestyle, and take on as many crazy adventures as I can, while, you know, maybe doing some homework on the side every now and then.

I hope you enjoy my posts, as I plan on them being the easiest way to communicate with a mass group of people. Feel free to comment any time. I will do my best to keep this thing updated!

Thanks everyone!

Con amor,
Meg

1 comment: